This years trip is currently at capacity. Please contact our office at 207.699.5061 or email@example.com if you'd like to be notified about details for next years trip to India.
Learn about the world's oldest living religion while visiting Delhi (India's Capital) and several cities in amazing Rajasthan, the "Land of Kings." We will see temples and palaces, visit spice markets and the Taj Mahal, experience a camel safari, and go to City Palace, home of Jaipur's royal family. See a detailed itinerary below.
Tuition: $3,750 + airfare
Instructor: Dana Sawyer, Professor Emeritus of MECA.
Dates: December 29 - January 13, 2019
- $500 non-refundable deposit is due by August 15 (8/15/18) - call 207-699-5061
- Remaining balance is due by September 7 (9/7/18)
- Payment plans are available for current BFA students only.
- Flights will be booked at a group rate and must be paid for by October 12th (10/12/18)
Trip Itinerary (subject to change)
- Day 1 Arrive Delhi late. Overnight at La Cabana or comparable hotel.
- Day 2 Delhi sightseeing including a visit to Humayun's tomb, the 16th century prototype for the Taj Mahal, followed by a Rickshaw ride through the spice market in Old Delhi. Overnight at La Cabana.
- Day 3 Delhi-Agra by deluxe bus (4 hrs). Afternoon visit Taj Mahal. Overnight at Clark’s Shiraz or comparable hotel.
- Day 4 Agra : Morning visit to the Red Fort of Agra, formally the palace of Shah Jahan, builder of the Taj Mahal. Afternoon drive by deluxe bus to Jaipur (5-6 hrs), the “Pink City,” with a stop at Fatehpur Sikri, the ghost city built by Akbar the Great in the 16th Century. Overnight at Arya Niwas or comparable hotel.
- Day 5 Jaipur : Morning visit to Amber Fort, former home of the Maharajas of Jaipur. Afternoon visit to Hindu temples / evening visit to a Bollywood movie theatre. Overnight at Arya Niwas.
- Day 6 Jaipur : Morning visit City Palace, current home of Jaipur’s royal family, including a tour of Hawa Mahal (the “Wind Palace”) and the famous astronomical Observatory. Afternoon visits to Sanganer, famous for textile and hand made paper artisans, and a metal smithing studio. Overnight at Arya Niwas.
- Day 7 Jaipur to Jodhpur, the “Blue City,” early morning by train (five hrs in a AC Chair Car, with packed breakfast from hotel). Arrive Jodhpur and transfer to hotel. Afternoon class and visit to a local market. Overnight at Leisure Inn Shrey or comparable hotel.
- Day 8 Jodhpur : Morning visit to the Mehrangarh Fort, ancient palace of the Marwar Maharaja’s, and Jaswant Thada, the cenotaph of the Maharajas of Jodhpur. Afternoon visit to the local markets, including the famous clock tower. Overnight at same hotel.
- Day 9 Jodhpur : Day free to relax / classes. Late afternoon tour of the city including views of Umaid Bawan, palace of the present Maharaja. Overnight at same hotel.
- Day 10 Jodhpur to Jaisalmer, the “Golden City,” by deluxe bus (6-7 hrs). Late afternoon tour of Jain and Hindu temples. Overnight at Jaisal Castle or comparable hotel.
- Day 11 Jaisalmer : Tour of the Fort and cenotaphs in the morning, and tour of havelis of medieval merchants in the afternoon. Overnight at same hotel.
- Day 12 Jaisalmer : Morning start of the camel safari through the villages. Overnight at camps in the desert with deluxe tents.
- Day 13 Jaisalmer : Finish the camel safari and proceed back to hotel. Visit to a Merasi school for gypsy children, with a music performance, if time allows.
- Day 14 Jaisalmer - Delhi flight (two hrs), transfer to airport. Arrive Delhi and transfer to La Cabana or comparable hotel. Visit to the Bahai Lotus temple. Overnight.
- Day 15 Delhi-US : In time, transfer to airport to board flight back home.